Colleton County, South Carolina Genealogy
Colleton County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Colleton Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Colleton County was established on 1800 from Charleston County (one time contained St. Bartholomew Parish, St. Paul Parish, and St. George Dorchester Parish. In 1769 the parishes became part of the Charleston District, until 1800 when they formed the Colleton District). The county was named in honor of John Colleton, colonial proprietary landowner .
The Colleton County Seat is situated in Walterboro plus the county government website is www.colletoncounty.org/
Areas adjacent to Colleton County are Orangeburg County (north), Dorchester County (northeast), Charleston County (east), Beaufort County (south), Hampton County (west), Allendale County (west), Bamberg County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Colleton county include Cottageville, Edisto Beach, Green Pond, Lodge, Round O, Ruffin, Smoaks, Walterboro, Williams, Jacksonboro.
Colleton County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Colleton Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Colleton Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Colleton Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Colleton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Colleton County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Colleton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Colleton County Genealogical Society, 125 Wade Hampton Avenue, Walterboro 29488
- Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society, 205 Church Street, Walterboro, SC 29488; 843-549-9633
- Old St. Bartholomew Chapter South Carolina Genealogical Society , 609 Black Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Colleton Museum, 239 N. Jefferies Blvd., Walterboro, SC 29488; (843) 549-2303
- Slave Relic Museum, 208 Carn Street, Walterboro, SC 29488; 845-549-9130
- Colleton County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Colleton County
- Colleton County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Colleton County
- USGenWeb Archives for Colleton County (usgwarchives.net)
Colleton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Colleton County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Colleton County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Colleton county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Colleton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Colleton County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 31 Klein Street, P.O. Box 157, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Phone: 843-542-2745
- Land Records: 1802
- Colleton County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Address: 239 N. Jefferies Blvd., Walterboro, SC 29488
- Phone: 843-549-7216
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1865
- Colleton County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Address: 101 Hampton Street, P.O. Box 620, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Phone: (843) 549-5791
- Court Records: 1807
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Colleton County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Colleton County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 219 S. Lemacks Street, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Phone: (843) 549-1516
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Colleton County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Colleton County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Colleton County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Colleton Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Colleton Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Colleton Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Colleton Co. SC Census Records
Colleton Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Colleton Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Colleton Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Colleton Co. SC General and History Websites
Colleton Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Colleton Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Colleton Co. SC Military Records
Colleton Co. SC Schools & Directories