Darlington County, South Carolina Genealogy
Darlington County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Darlington Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Darlington County was established on 1785 from Cheraws District and until 1800 it remained a part of the Cheraws District. The county was named for Darlington, England.
The Darlington County Seat is situated in Darlington plus the county government website is www.darcosc.com/
Areas adjacent to Darlington County are Marlboro County (northeast), Florence County (southeast), Lee County (southwest), Kershaw County (west), Chesterfield County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Darlington county include Darlington, Hartsville, Lamar, North Hartsville, Society Hill
Darlington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Darlington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Old Darlington Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 175, Hartsville 29551-1075
- Darlington County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 175, Hartsville 29551
- Darlington County Historical Society, P. O. Box 546, Darlington, SC 29532; Telephone: (843) 398-4940
- Darlington County Historical Commission, 204 Hewitt St., Darlington,SC 29532; 843-398-4710
- Hartsville Museum, PO Box 431, 222 North Fifth Street, Hartsville, SC 29551
- Darlington County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Darlington County
- Darlington County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Darlington County
- USGenWeb Archives for Darlington County (usgwarchives.net)
Darlington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Darlington County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Darlington County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Darlington county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. A courthouse fire on 19 March 1806 destroyed most of Darlington County's records with the exception of early probate files; this fire also destroyed the early records of the Cheraw Judicial District. The negligence of a local district ordinary also resulted in the subsequent destruction of a portion of loose probate papers.
- Darlington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Public Square, Darlington, South Carolina 29532
- Darlington County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (843) 398-4310 or (843) 398-4311
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1783
- Darlington County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (843) 398-4330
- Land Records: 1803
- Court Records: 1801
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Darlington County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Darlington County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 305 Russell Street, Darlington, SC 29532
- Phone: (843) 398-4400
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
South Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include South Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; South Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; South Carolina Obituary Records; South Carolina Military Records; South Carolina Family Tree Records; South Carolina Pictures; South Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; South Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Darlington County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Darlington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Darlington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Darlington Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Darlington Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Darlington Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Darlington Co. SC Census Records
Darlington Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Darlington Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Darlington Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Darlington Co. SC General and History Websites
Darlington Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Darlington Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Darlington Co. SC Military Records
Darlington Co. SC Schools & Directories