Fairfield County, South Carolina Genealogy
Fairfield County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Fairfield Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Fairfield County was established on 1785 from part of the Camden District. The county was named for the county's fair fields, as described by colonial governor Charles Cornwallis.
The Fairfield County Seat is situated in Winnsboro plus the county government website is www.fairfieldsc.com/
Areas adjacent to Fairfield County are Chester County (north), Lancaster County (northeast), Union County (northwest), Kershaw County (east), Richland County (south), Newberry County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Fairfield county include Jenkinsville, Ridgeway, Winnsboro.
Fairfield County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Fairfield Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Fairfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Fairfield County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fairfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fairfield Chapter of the SC Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 93, Winnsboro 29180
- Fairfield County Historical Society, PO Box 632, Winnsboro, SC 29180; (803) 635-9811
- Fairfield Genealogy Room, P. O. Box 941, Winnsboro, SC 29180
- Fairfield County Museum, PO Box 6, Winnsboro, SC 29180; 803) 635-9811
- Piedmont Historical Society, PO Box 1842, Spartanburg, SC 29304; Ph:864-574-3056
- Fairfield County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fairfield County
- Fairfield County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fairfield County
- USGenWeb Archives for Fairfield County (usgwarchives.net)
Fairfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Fairfield County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Fairfield County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Fairfield county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Fairfield County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 South Congress Street, Winnsboro, SC 29180
- Fairfield County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 803-712-6519
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1787
- Fairfield County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: 803-712-6526
- Land Records: 1784
- Court Records: 1785
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Fairfield County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Fairfield County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 1136 Kincaid Bridge Rd., Winnsboro, SC 29180
- Phone: (803) 635-6481
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
South Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include South Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; South Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; South Carolina Obituary Records; South Carolina Military Records; South Carolina Family Tree Records; South Carolina Pictures; South Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; South Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Fairfield County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Fairfield County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Fairfield County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Fairfield Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fairfield Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fairfield Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fairfield Co. SC Census Records
Fairfield Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fairfield Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Fairfield Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fairfield Co. SC General and History Websites
Fairfield Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Fairfield Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fairfield Co. SC Military Records
Fairfield Co. SC Schools & Directories