Georgetown County, South Carolina Genealogy
Georgetown County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Georgetown Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Georgetown County was established on 1769 from 1769 Judicial District (originally called Winyah County but was renamed in 1800). The county was named in honor of King George II of Great Britain.
The Georgetown County Seat is situated in Georgetown plus the county government website is www.georgetowncountysc.org/
Areas adjacent to Georgetown County are Williamsburg County (west), Horry County (north), Berkeley County (southwest), Charleston County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Georgetown county include Andrews, Georgetown, Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island
Georgetown County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Georgetown Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Georgetown Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Georgetown Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Georgetown Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Georgetown County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Georgetown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Georgetown County Historical Society, PO Box 861, Georgetown, SC 29442; Telephone: (843) 545-7020
- Kaminski House Museum, PO Box 939, Georgetown, SC 29442; phone: (843) 546-7706
- Rice Museum, 633 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29442; phone: (843) 546-7423
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Georgetown County
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Georgetown County
- USGenWeb Archives for Georgetown County (usgwarchives.net)
Georgetown County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Georgetown County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Georgetown County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Georgetown county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. In 1862 during the Civil War, Georgetown's records were sent to Chesterfield courthouse for safekeeping. They were destroyed there by fire during General Sherman's Union army occupation of that city in March 1865. Deed books have suffered heavy record loss.
- Georgetown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:401 Cleland Street, Georgetown, SC 29442
- Georgetown County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 129 Screven Street, Room 109, Georgetown, SC 29442
- Phone: (843)-545-3088
- Land Records: 1862
- Georgetown County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (843)-545-3274
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1862
- Georgetown County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: (843)-545-3215
- Court Records: 1783
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Georgetown County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Georgetown County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 531 Lafayette Circle, Georgetown, SC 29440-2569
- Phone: (843) 546-0174
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
South Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include South Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; South Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; South Carolina Obituary Records; South Carolina Military Records; South Carolina Family Tree Records; South Carolina Pictures; South Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; South Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Georgetown County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Georgetown County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Georgetown County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Georgetown Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Georgetown Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Georgetown Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Georgetown Co. SC Census Records
Georgetown Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Georgetown Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Georgetown Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Georgetown Co. SC General and History Websites
Georgetown Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Georgetown Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Georgetown Co. SC Military Records
Georgetown Co. SC Schools & Directories