Jasper County, South Carolina Genealogy
Jasper County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Jasper Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jasper County was established on January 30, 1912 from Beaufort County and Hampton County. The county was named in honor of William Jasper, Revolutionary War sergeant .
The Jasper County Seat is situated in Ridgeland plus the county government website is www.jaspercountysc.org/
Areas adjacent to Jasper County are Hampton County (north), Beaufort County (east), Chatham County, Georgia (south), Effingham County, Georgia (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Jasper county include Hardeeville, Ridgeland.
Jasper County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1920, 1930, 1940. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jasper County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jasper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Jasper County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Jasper County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Jasper County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Jasper county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Jasper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 305 Russell St., Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Jasper County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 358 Third Ave., Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Phone: 843-717-3615
- Land Records: 1912
- Jasper County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 843-726-7718
- Marriage Records: 1912
- Probate Records: 1912
- Jasper County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Address: 265 Russell Street, Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Phone: 843-726-7710
- Court Records: 1912
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Jasper County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Jasper County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 359 E. Wilson St. , Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Phone: (843) 726-7788
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Jasper County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Jasper County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Jasper County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jasper Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jasper Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jasper Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jasper Co. SC Census Records
Jasper Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jasper Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Jasper Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jasper Co. SC General and History Websites
Jasper Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Jasper Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jasper Co. SC Military Records
Jasper Co. SC Schools & Directories