Lexington County, South Carolina Genealogy
Lexington County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Lexington Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Lexington County was established on 1804 from Orangeburg County (Formed from territory of Lexington County (non-functioning) in Orangeburgh District). The county was named for the Battle of Lexington, opening skirmish of the Revolutionary War .
The Lexington County Seat is situated in Lexington plus the county government website is www.lex-co.sc.gov
Areas adjacent to Lexington County are Richland County (east), Orangeburg County (southeast), Calhoun County (southeast), Aiken County (southwest), Saluda County (west), Newberry County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Lexington county include Batesburg-Leesville, Cayce, Chapin, Columbia, Gaston, Gilbert, Irmo, Lexington, Oak Grove, Pelion, Pine Ridge, Red Bank, Seven Oaks, South Congaree, Springdale, Summit, Swansea, West Columbia
Lexington County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lexington Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Lexington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lexington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lexington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lexington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lexington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lexington County Historical Society, PO Box 637, Lexington, SC 29071; phone: (803) 359-8369
- Lexington County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1442, Lexington 29072
- Dutch Fork Chapter, SCGS, Inc., PO Box 481, Chapin, SC 29036-0481
- Lexington Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 1442, Lexington, SC 29071
- Lexington County Museum, 231 Fox Street, Lexington, SC 29071; phone: (803) 359-8369
- Lake Murray Historical Society, 7708 Lietner Dr, Columbia, SC 29209; phone: (803) 783-5088
- Cayce Historical Museum, P. O. Box 2004, Cayce, SC 29171; Telephone: (803) 739-5385
- Lexington County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lexington County
- Lexington County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lexington County
- USGenWeb Archives for Lexington County (usgwarchives.net)
Lexington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Lexington County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Lexington County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Lexington county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Record loss in 1839. In February 1865, advancing federal troops destroyed pre-1839 records of the clerk of court; the destruction included deeds and virtually all probate records.
- Lexington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 E. Main St., Lexington, SC 29072
- Lexington County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 212 South Lake Drive, Suite 301, Lexington, South Carolina
- Phone: 803-785-8168
- Land Records: 1839
- Lexington County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 803-785-8324
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1809
- Lexington County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: 803-785-8212
- Court Records: 1800
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Lexington County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Lexington County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 1070 Suite B, South Lake Dr, Lexington SC 29073
- Phone: 803-785-6550
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Lexington County: Aiken County in 1871 and Calhoun County in 1908
South Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include South Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; South Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; South Carolina Obituary Records; South Carolina Military Records; South Carolina Family Tree Records; South Carolina Pictures; South Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; South Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lexington County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Lexington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Lexington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lexington Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lexington Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lexington Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lexington Co. SC Census Records
Lexington Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lexington Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Lexington Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lexington Co. SC General and History Websites
Lexington Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Lexington Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lexington Co. SC Military Records
Lexington Co. SC Schools & Directories