Williamsburg County, South Carolina Genealogy
Williamsburg County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal Williamsburg Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Williamsburg County was established on 1802 from territory of Williamsburg County (non-functioning) in Georgetown Circuit Court District (part of Prince Frederick Parish). The county was named in honor of King William III of England.
The Williamsburg County Seat is situated in Kingstree plus the county government website is www.williamsburgcounty.sc.gov/
Areas adjacent to Williamsburg County are Florence County (north), Marion County (northeast), Georgetown County (east), Berkeley County (south), Clarendon County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Williamsburg county include Andrews, Greeleyville, Hemingway, Kingstree, Lane, Stuckey.
Williamsburg County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Williamsburg Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Williamsburg Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Williamsburg Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Williamsburg Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Williamsburg County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Williamsburg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Williamsburg County Historical Society, 135 Hampton Ave, Kingstree, SC 29556; phone: (843) 355-3306
- Williamsburgh Historical Museum, 135 Hampton Ave, Kingstree, SC 29556; phone: (843) 355-3306
- Three Rivers Historical Society, P.O. Box 811,
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Williamsburg County
- Williamsburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Williamsburg County
- USGenWeb Archives for Williamsburg County (usgwarchives.net)
Williamsburg County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Williamsburg County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Williamsburg County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Williamsburg county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Williamsburg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 125 West Main St., Kingstree, South Carolina 29556
- Williamsburg County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 843-355-9321 ext. 558
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1802
- Williamsburg County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: 843-355-9321 ext. 552
- Land Records: 1806
- Court Records: 1806
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Williamsburg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Williamsburg County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: 520 Thurgood Marshall Highway, Kingstree, SC 29556-4108
- Phone: (843) 355-9378
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
South Carolina Historical Records
- Databases include South Carolina Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; South Carolina Birth, Marriage & Death Records; South Carolina Voter Lists & Census Records; South Carolina Immigration & Emigration Records; South Carolina Obituary Records; South Carolina Military Records; South Carolina Family Tree Records; South Carolina Pictures; South Carolina Stories, Memories & Histories; South Carolina Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Williamsburg County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Williamsburg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Williamsburg County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Williamsburg Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Williamsburg Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Williamsburg Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Williamsburg Co. SC Census Records
Williamsburg Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Williamsburg Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Williamsburg Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Williamsburg Co. SC General and History Websites
Williamsburg Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Williamsburg Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Williamsburg Co. SC Military Records
Williamsburg Co. SC Schools & Directories