York County, South Carolina Genealogy
York County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to assist you track your personal York Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
York County was established on 1798 from Camden District. The county was named for York County, Pennsylvania.
The York County Seat is situated in York plus the county government website is www.yorkcountygov.com/
Areas adjacent to York County are Gaston County, North Carolina (north), Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (northeast), Lancaster County (east), Chester County (south), Union County (southwest), Cherokee County (west), Cleveland County, North Carolina (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in York County include Rock Hill, Tega Cay, York, Clover, Fort Mill, Hickory Grove, McConnells, Sharon, Smyrna.
York County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. York Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. York Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
York County Society and Family History Resources
A list of York County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also South Carolina Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- York County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 3061 CRS, Rock Hill, SC 29732; phone: (803) 327-4667
- Historic Rock Hill, PO Box 651, Rock Hill, SC 29731; phone: (803) 329-1020
- Broad River Basin Historical Society, PO Box 86, Sharon, SC 29742
- Culture & Heritage Museums, 4621 Mount Gallant Rd., Rock Hill, SC 29732-8666; phone: (803) 329-2121
- White Homestead, 1826 Second Baxter Crossing, Fort Mill, SC 29708; phone (803) 547-4557
- York County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in York County
- York County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for York County
- USGenWeb Archives for York County (usgwarchives.net)
York County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of York County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women. The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the York County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in York county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- York County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 South Congress Street, York, South Carolina 29745
- York County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Address: 1 East Liberty Street, P.O. Box 219, York, SC 29745
- Phone: 803-684-8513
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1786
- York County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 1675 1G York Highway, P.O. Box 649, York, SC 29745
- Phone: 803-628-3036
- Land Records: 1786
- Court Records: 1786
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- York County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- York County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
- Address: N. Congress St., York, SC 29745
- Phone: (803) 684-7004
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
York County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to York County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked York County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
York Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
York Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
York Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
York Co. SC Census Records
York Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
York Co. SC Church & Bible Records
York Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
York Co. SC General and History Websites
York Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
York Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
York Co. SC Military Records
York Co. SC Schools & Directories